Avalanche Awareness Days is an annual event, held in various communities throughout Canada to promote backcountry safety and education in an effort to prevent avalanche accidents and raise public awareness of the risks.
This winter, Panorama Ski Patrol are hosting an educational self guided scavenger hunt over two weeks with awesome prizes from Mammut, Mons Royale, Avalanche Canada and more.
Be Avy Savvy
Before you get started on our scavenger hunt, check out the Avy Savvy website. It's where Avalanche Canada is dropping important knowledge about snow and backcountry safety.
How does it work?
From inside the resort boundary, collect the following images:
- You doing a snowpack test
- You measuring slope angle
- An avalanche path (from a safe distance) and circle the primary start zone
- Current snow transport from wind
- Items you carry in your pack for a day in the backcountry
- You practicing avalanche rescue (transceiver search, probing, shoveling)
Write it down
- A list of current avalanche problems in Avalanche Canada's Purcell Bulletin
- The travel and terrain advice you would give to someone based on the AvCan Bulletin
Email us your finds
Send your images and written observations to email@example.com by February 27!
All those who complete the challenge will have their name entered into a draw for prizes from Mammut, Mons Royale, Avalanche Canada, Gatorade, Backcountry Access and Fatmap.
Prizing will be drawn at random from submissions and must be collected from Panorama. There is no option for prizes to be shipped.